Can I change my Will by writing on it?
Please don't write on an original will. The Surrogate cannot admit into probate an original will that has any cross outs or marks on it that change the content of the will. The proper way to make changes to a will is to execute a "codicil" or execute a new will. If there are any delineations on an original will that change the content, the Surrogate may not allow the will to be probated without an adjudication by the Superior Court.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get started with an estate matter?
2. Do all wills have to be probated?
3. Do my survivors have to pay inheritance tax?
4. Must I engage an attorney to probate a Will?
5. Does the State of New Jersey take my assets if I die without a will?
6. What do I need to bring to the Surrogate Court to handle an estate?
7. Is it expensive to probate a Will?
8. What happens if I do not have a Will?
9. Where should I keep my original Will?
10. Can I change my Will by writing on it?
11. How do I adopt my new spouse's childen?
12. My grandmother wrote her last wishes on an envelope before she died. Is this considered a Will?
13. What does escheat mean?
14. Is there a way to find out if the State of New Jersey has money that I may be entitled to?
15. I have a special needs child. How do I become their guardian when they turn 18 years old?